Sunday, April 11, 2010

Playing with Fire: A Flower Pin Tutorial

Awhile back, I stumbled upon a neat blog post by DuhBe about making fabric roses. In her tutorial, she uses fire to curl the edges of the fabric to make them more petal-like. I decided to give it a try, but my attempt at a rose didn't turn out so well. It was more of a blob. Whoops.

A few days later, I decided to try again. This time, instead of using one long strip, I cut out individual petals and used hot glue to piece it all together. While it's still not perfect, I had much better luck with this second attempt so I decided to share. I apologize in advance for the picture quality -- my iPhone is waaay more convenient than my actual camera.

**Warning: Please use extreme caution when attempting this tutorial as a flame is used in the process. I am not responsible for any accidents or injuries resulting from this tutorial. In other words, try this at your own risk.**

What You'll Need:

   * Fabric for the petals (Synthetic NOT natural fibers. Synthetic melts, while natural fibers catch fire)
   * Fabric for the backing (I used a polyester/rayon this time)
   * Pin
   * Button, bead, or other trinket for the center of the flower
   * Scissors
   * Hot glue

1. First you'll need to cut out the material for your petals. It's not an exact science, so feel free to experiment.


2. Next comes the fire. Bring each petal just close enough to the flame to melt the edges -- if you hold it too close to the flame it will start to burn...I learned the hard way. If you want tips from an expert, check out Step 3 of DuhBe's tutorial.


Here are a few of my petals afterwards...


3. Next, I cut out two pieces of fabric to use for the back of my pin. I used circles, but pretty much any shape should work.


4. Using hot glue, I began to attach petals to ONE of the circles that I cut out in the previous step. There's no real technique for this...you can arrange them however you wish.


Continue gluing and arranging. You can use as few or as many petals as you want.


5. After that, I made two small slits in the SECOND circle from Step 3. That way I could slip the pin in-between the two circles. Hot glue it all together & it should look something like this...


6. Finally, hot glue a trinket onto the center of your flower. Beads, pearls, old jewelery, fabric scraps...whatever you desire. For this pin, I used an old button that I had lying around.


And that's all there is to it. Pretty easy. To simplify the process even more -- especially if you don't feel like cutting out a bunch of individual petals -- you can just use circles and give them scalloped edges. You'll end up with something like this (my third attempt & a present for a friend):


As you can see, there's a lot of leeway. Just be warned that these flowers are addictive. Once you start playing with fire, you'll be hooked.

3 comments:

Caitlin Erin said...

I have worn this pin almost every day since you have it to me a week ago! I don't wear it on my scrubs for sanitary reasons, but I would if I could! I love it! Thank you Abby! Keep it up!

Abby said...

I'm glad you like it!! AND I'm even happier to hear that you don't wear it on your scrubs! Nursing school and flower pins would not be a good combo. At least not germwise.

Julie said...

Abby, this is my first visit to a blog. I think it is very well done, of course it is, as I said my first visit to a blog.:)
Thanks for sharing. I think you deserve an ice cream cone, no make it a large bowl of Tillamook Cookie Dough. yum.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails